Shock and Vibration Test For Product Qualification
We help clients to establish a logical vibration and shock test system, run the tests and assist in any resulting redesign activities. Our closed loop acceleration feedback control can simulate almost any shock or vibration environment that your product may encounter. This includes, but goes well beyond, industry and military shock and vibration testing methods established by IEC, SAE, MIL-STD, ISO, ASTM, RTCA and the Department of Defense (DOD).
Mechanical Shock and Vibration
Your products may be required to meet rigorous military, electronic, industrial, or medical device standards for shock and vibration resistance prior to acceptance. Rexnord can provide testing for product-specific test protocols over a wide range of amplitudes, frequencies, and spectrums.
RIC utilizes well-proven closed loop acceleration feedback control to simulate or recreate almost any shock or vibration environment that your product may encounter. This includes but goes well beyond industry and military vibration and shock testing methods established by the International Electrotechnical Commission, Society of Automotive Engineers, United States Military Standards (MIL-STD), and the Department of Defense. Standard shock and vibration testing methods are:
- Sine Frequency Sweep with constant displacement or acceleration (IEC 68-2-6, MIL-STD-810 SAE J1211)
- Random with frequency weighted power spectral density (IEC 68-2-34, MIL-STD-810)
- Shock with half-sine, haversine, triangular or saw-tooth pulses (IEC 68-2-27, MIL-STD-202)
- Shock Response Spectrum (SRS) with frequency weighted spectral density
- More sophisticated shock testing and vibration testing methods that may be customized for your particular product
- Playback of recorded acceleration using replication of data collected in the field.>
- Sine on Random to simulate vibration generated by rotating machinery with multiple vibration tones (orders)
- Tools that may be used to solve your vibration problems are:
- Field vibration measurement and analysis
- Mode identification using resonance search, transmissibility and stroboscopy
- Modal analysis
Many products, however, are not covered by existing standards and you may require help determining the best test practices to cost effectively provide the product reliability your customers demand. Rexnord can help you to establish a logical shock and vibration test protocol, run the tests and help in any resulting redesign activities.
If your test requires operational testing during vibration, Rexnord has expertise in engineering monitoring systems to record operational functions such as electrical signals, continuity, pressures, and temperatures. These signals can be fed back into the system to record failures or stop the test.
Vibration Testing on an Industrial Inverter
Resonance searches are performed to identify potential metal fatigue points. With proper redesign, the resonance frequencies can be shifted to areas that the part will not be exposed to in normal operation.
Below is a photograph of automotive locks being vibrated in a fore and aft direction. The shaker is a 6000 lb. Ling electrodynamic shaker controlled by a Vibration Research Corporation (VRC) controller.
Vibration Testing Automotive Locks
RTS can run vibration tests to Military standards such as 810F, IEC Standards, SAE , ASTM and internally developed standards. If necessary, RTS can provide a vibration profile for any equipment, by mounting accelerometers and recording data.
Vibration, Shock and Bump Testing
Vibration tests can also be performed while the test part is subjected to temperature and humidity extremes. An environmental chamber that mates with a shaker table is used for this type of testing.